Saturday 1 February 2014

Sport/Fitness

Damn it... I promised to myself that I would write a blog post once a week but oh well. Anyhow, this blog post will be about sport/fitness as the title says. Sport has been my long time "love" since I was a little kid, but it has been its ups and downs like a relationship usually tends to have. 

So, my "sport history". I started dancing when I was four years old. My mom signed me up to dance class to put all that energy what I had to good use. So, let's give a big thanks to my awesome mom who did that for me. It has been my savior. I think I wouldn't be the person that I'm today without that. It taught me to express myself and to remember a long series of moves. It was my place to shine and it was also a place where I found one of my best friend's. So, thank you for being my friend beyond dance classes. 

In elementary school I also took part in various sport events. I ran cross country and played Finnish baseball (suom. pesäpallo). I was also pretty good in cross country skiing. I won a couple of metals too...
But after elementary it was time to move on to junior high where the competition turned up nastier and more exclusive. I liked sports in that point, but everyone else was faster and better than me. It didn't want to try as hard as before. What was the point? I could never win anyway. But I still tried to keep my head up and enjoy at least a wee bit.
In high school it was a whole other game. The other students were way nicer and PE classes were so much fun. We went to swimming, bowling and of course we had to learn the dances for the prom. The peeps out there in the internets who are not from Finland. You won't necessarily know that the prom in the second year of high school is a very big thing in Finland. We dress up, get our hairs done and the guys wear tuxedos and top hats. We learn the art of how to waltz and tango. It's just soooooo much fun and very good exercise. I was in so good shape that in the end my dress had to be taken in a size. So, in high school, I started again to be more interested about sports. It made studying way easier and when I graduated, I had a pretty good average.

Going to Uni changed everything. I wasn't that active in my first year and my studying was suffering to some extent. There were so many things to learn that I didn't have that much time for anything else. To be honest, I was not that keen on going to the gym etc. If somebody had asked me to go for a run. I would have said politely that no thanks.  Then in second year I stepped up. The best choice that I made for myself was that I stepped my foot in the Aberdeen Sport Village (for short the asv). I started to actively jog, going to the gym, Zumba, TRX and other exercise class. Oh, and yoga, which it's just a killer.
Nowadays you could say that the exercise has become a "drug" for me. I'm doing it for my mental health and to achieve my future goals. Actually, speaking about that... Last summer I signed the service agreement with the Finnish army and I'm officially supposed to join in my regiment this summer, after I graduate from university. Joining to the military has been my long time dream. I probably would have made it a career if I haven't gotten into university. At the moment that is why I'm training pretty hard. So, sorry friends for taking it slightly overboard, but I have a very important mission to complete. 

My sport history has had its ups and downs. I have always been athletic, but in recent years I got slightly stuck, but now it's definitely in solid taking off mode. I actually feel the most comfortable and most beautiful in my gym clothes. Oh, and I'm currently wearing my favorite nike exercise pants and heading to the gym as soon as the bloody rain stops but it never will because we are in Scotland. So, see ya perhaps at the gym or on the running tracks. Carpe diem and just do it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment